If you are pursuing divorce, you should know what to do and what not to do. As Minneapolis family lawyers, we have put together some pointers on what you should and should not do while pursuing divorce:
What to do:
- Hire an attorney to represent you – It is important to have someone by your side who will protect your rights and fight for you.
- Document everything – It is encouraged that you keep journals of everything pertaining to the divorce.
- Compromise and try to be as accommodating as possible – Try to be the bigger person in the situation.
- Manage your time well – It may seem like a long process, but the moments do count. You also need time to de-stress.
- Remain calm – Lashing out does not help the situation but can make it worse.
- Consider your children’s feelings – Avoid talking about the divorce unless it is useful and necessary.
What not to do:
- Take any aggressive action against your ex-spouse – You can end up with a protective order against you.
- Bring your child in the middle of the divorce – There is a time and place to do so, but make sure it is necessary.
- Try to withhold parenting time because of unpaid child support – They are separate matters and one should not be a punishment for another.
- Criticize your ex-spouse in front of the children – You do not want to build unnecessary barriers.
- Attempt to represent yourself – You need legal representation from a professional attorney.
- Depend on your memory – keep journals
- Don’t make child support or spousal support payments late - The court will take into consideration your consideration and responsibility.
Contact us today for quality assistance through the process.