Drug possession crimes are often portrayed as the “least serious” of drug crimes throughout entertainment media. But the truth is that a single drug possession conviction can bring heavy penalties, especially in Minnesota where the crime is categorized into five different degrees.
The degrees of drug possession crimes in Minnesota are:
- Fifth: Possessing any amount of a Schedule I to IV drug, excluding less than 42.5 grams (just under one pound) of marijuana; penalties can include up to 5 years in prison and up to $10,000 fines
- Fourth: Any amount of a Schedule I to III drug, or 10 doses of a hallucinogenic drug regardless of actual dosage weight; penalties can include up to 15 years in prison and up to $100,000 fines
- Third: Possessing more than 10 grams of most narcotics, more than 3 grams of heroin, more than 10 kilos (1 kilo is roughly 2.2 pounds) of marijuana, or more than 5 doses of a Schedule I or II drug; penalties may include up to 20 years in prison and up to $250,000 fines
- Second: More than 25 grams of cocaine or methamphetamines, more than 6 grams of heroin, more than 50 grams of most other narcotics, more than 100 doses of a hallucinogenic drug, more than 25 kilos of end-user marijuana, or more than 100 marijuana plants for cultivation; penalties may include 25 years in prison (3 year minimum sentence) and up to $500,000 fine
- First: Possessing 50+ grams of cocaine or methamphetamines, 25+ grams of heroin, 50+ kilos of marijuana products, or 500+ marijuana plants; penalties can include up to 30 years imprisonment (4 year minimum) and $1,000,000 fines
Defense Against Numerous Drug Charges
The penalties for drug possession crimes in Minnesota can clearly vary greatly. In most cases, a judge’s discretion is the final weighing factor after a conviction is finalized. What does not change is the fact that the accused must always take action to defend themselves and their rights. In doing so, the criminal justice system is kept honest and excessive penalties are kept in check.
If you have been accused of a drug crime in Minnesota, The Law Office of Brockton D. Hunter, P.A. can provide award-winning criminal defense that has been described as “bold and aggressive.” We believe strongly in the importance of the presumption of innocence and will do everything in our power to protect your name and future freedoms. Contact us today to begin working on your case.